Wednesday, June 11, 2014

On the State of the Blog 2014

Okay, so I promised myself I'd post today, so despite how late it is, it is still Wednesday and therefore I've been a good human being (at least in the blogging department). I finally have a plan(ish) for this blog! I'm sure I'll fail almost instantly, but its nice to dream.

My favourite blogs are the ones where you really get a sense of the person who is writing them whilst they embark on some semi-ludicrous goal; think Julie & Julia, or Green as a Thistle. I also have a soft spot for mommy blogs, particularity Raising my Rainbow, but for obvious reasons I can't mommy blog (damn gender constraints!). The former blog-type will have to do.

The Semi-Ludicrous Goal.

I want to do book reviews/discussions/something. I hear you already, "What's so special about that, people do that all the time, what's almost ludicrous about that?" Ah! You forget that this is Kayle, and no plan of mine could be that easy. I want to "intensely" read the Great Books of the Western tradition as suggested by Mortimer J. Alder's How to Read a Book. This list includes 137 authors, many of which involve reading multiple texts. I want to read one a week, starting with Homer's Iliad and ending with Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn's Cancer Ward. Over 2000 years (YEARS!) of great (and difficult) literature. I haven't done all the math yet (read: none), but I guess this task will take at least three years. This coming from someone who can't manage to do a few pushups every other day. 

I'll try to explain the why of this goal on Friday when I go over some of the finer points of How to Read a Book. I'll also try to figure out what those posts should even look like.

The Schedule

I don't want this blog to only be book reviews though, because that could get boring, also (and try to imagine me as a stereotypical high-school art teacher when I say this,) I wouldn't be able to express myself as a person. Towards that end I think I'll schedule in one or two days dedicated to how my life's going and what I'm thinking about. My hope is that my goal will improve me as a human being and that this will somehow show in my personal posts. (Ha.)

My thoughts are thus:

  • Mondays - Week Review. Things that I saw and thought were interesting/amusing. Miscellany.
  • Wednesdays - Opinion Pieces. Thoughts and Rambles. Rants. Miscellany.
  • Fridays - Book Review or Discussion or Something. (I really don't know how in depth I want to make these posts yet. I'll figure it out along the way I guess).

Alright, see you Friday when I cover How to Read a Book.

(Affirmation style: I will absolutely post on Friday

No comments:

Post a Comment