Monday, June 16, 2014

On Nobel First Steps

I'm using that gigantic translation near the right.
Okay, so despite when I manage to upload this, I'm currently writing this at round 3 o’clock in the afternoon. I’ve been at the library since 9 trying to get started with The Iliad. Whether or not you've ever spent an entire day reading, I’m sure you can appreciate the power of the 3 o’clock lull. I decided to take a break and write simply because I figure it will be harder for me to fall asleep while typing.

This project is very daunting. The translation I’m using is nearly 600 pages long and I have only just gotten past the introduction to the text. Normally I would just skip the intro, but Mr Adler insists that it will be of great use to me in coming to understand the text itself, even though he doesn't seem to usually accept pre-digested material. Further I’m finding (at least today) that the library atmosphere isn't as silent as one could hope for. Right now I have a man next to me reading the newspaper (somewhat) out loud. He mutters all the words to himself under his breath. Across the way there is an extremely enlightening (and loud) conversation going on regarding this girls latest American Eagle finds and her comments on her friend’s tanning progress. I’m learning so much. Ah! And now someone is vacuuming behind me. Wonderful.

My Week

Its been a trip. Although, I think its fairly useful as a cross-section of my life right now. If I continue with this project, it’ll be interesting to read back and see how my life has changed in the next three years. Hopefully it has an for the better.

Right before I managed to post on Friday my credit union called because my student line of credit had (once again) gone wild. I haven’t been able to make the payments that I wish I could. So as usual, they immediately called my grandparents (who are my cosigners) to threaten legal action. Its very sweet of them, I think. I was very rude with the woman who called me. I might call and apologise -- not because I think they’re completely innocent or anything, but because the woman who calls isn’t really the driving force behind the capitalist monster. She’s just a cog, and it can’t be easy calling people to ruin their day all day. I’m sure I wasn't the only snotty person she had to deal with that day.

Nothing else of particular interest happened. I did some dog-sitting with David, and went to my parents for Father’s day. My life feels very transient right now, like I’m just waiting in between my studenthood and my adult life. I probably need a proper full-time job, but I think I also need to figure out some meaning for myself. Until I know what I want to do, I think I’ll just keep feeling like I’m waiting. This blog certainly provides me with some structure, so there’s that.

Back to the book I suppose.

No comments:

Post a Comment