Monday, December 22, 2014

On Hiding

If I had to list my talents, one of the top contenders would have to be hiding. I don't mean the hide-and-seek variety, although I seem to recall being fairly skilled at that too. I am a genius at hiding from my problems--or anything that might be associated with said problems. 

In fact, this blog is an excellent example of this skill. I failed to meet my deadline for reading the Illiad. Someone who was less skilled at hiding might have simply continued to read the book and wrote the post a bit late. I however, am a master-level hider. I hid from my blog; I actually didn't even come to the site to follow up on the blogs I read. I hid from the topic and the people who were interested in the blog. I hid from the library (and accrued quite the late fee). I'm still hiding from going to library to pay that fee. 

For some reason, when things aren't going well I take the opinion: "if I ignore it, maybe it will ignore me." I don't know why I do this, maybe I'm part ostrich. I know that hiding from the bank doesn't actually make my debts go away; regardless, I feel a type of terror every time I even think about going in to do anything about it. 

The point of this is confession is simply to say that I'm going to try to not hide from this blog. Even when I'm not meeting my deadlines and accomplishing project goals, I have to use this space, or I might hide from those projects forever. Hiding from monsters does nothing to the monsters themselves.

On the bright side, when I do decide to stop hiding from the Illiad, I should be able to pick up where I left off: I took very thorough notes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment